The Gaslight Anthem have been on a roll since the release of last year's American Slang with numerous festival appearances and praise from Spin, Rolling Stone and NME. The band isn't ready to slow down yet with their upcoming headlining appearance at this year's Bamboozle Festival and more overseas touring this Summer. Frontman Brian Fallon talked about their recent stop at Soundwave Festival, performing at this year's Bamboozle Festival and gives advice for bands wanting to hit the road.
1) The band recently performed at the Soundwave Festival in Australia. What was that experience like?
Australia's great, I went surfing, we hung out with all our buds at soundwave, h20, social d, polar bear club,foxy shazam,trash talk,it was awesome! Like summer camp!
2) The band performed a new song called "Biloxi Parish" in Australia. What's the meaning behind the song?
Oh, no no... Too early for all that. With the Internet and all that we're gonna keep a few secrets for now. It was a special thing for the Australians because we hadn't been there in so long.
3) How does the overseas crowd differ from the American crowd?
I get asked that a lot but I never have a great answer, I think what you see is that crowds are very similar. I don't think it's very different, people are excited about music all over. That's the great thing, music translates.
4) How did the idea of doing a split with Fake Problems come about?
They are really dear friends of ours and we jut decided it would be awesome. That's how all this stuff comes up, we just do things with people we like.
5) The band has been doing plenty of touring over the last few years. What advice would you give bands that would want to tour for long periods of time?
You really have to understand that there are no breaks. Nobody gets a big break with touring, I mean money wise, nobody has money, you just have to go for it, and when you run out of money you go back home, get some awful job and work until you have enough money to get right back in the van and go for it until you finally build up a following. It's rough, suck it up.
6) What bands are you guys currently listening to?
I'm big on Foxy Shazam, Dave Hause's new record, I love the Cold War Kids, that's my new jams lately. I like the new Dropkick Murphys too.
7) What are some of your favorite songs to play live?
For me, I like what the crowd likes, when it's a live situation I just want to be good. I want people to leave happy. The live show is about making the people who came to see us happy.
8) Your other band The Horrible Crowes is set to release their debut album this year. What can fans expect from that record?
The Crowes is like Tom Waits and Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan, Greg Dulli kind of stuff, it's pretty dark. It's kids music, to give them nightmares and make girls cry.
9) What are you most looking forward to about performing at this year's Bamboozle Festival?
Headlining Giants Stadium that's what I'm looking forward to!!! I'll take it how I can get it!
10) You're going overseas for the Revival Tour with Chuck Ragan. Are there any singers/musicians that you'd like to collaborate with in the future?
That's one of my favorite things to do, I love playing with other people. It opens you up to so much new stuff, I'd love to work with a lot of people. There's nobody I'm dying to work with right now, except maybe Tori Amos, but that's it right now.
Catch The Gaslight Anthem at the Bamboozle Festival on Saturday April 30th with Taking Back Sunday, The Movielife, Anberlin and others.