One year ago, Taking Back Sunday surprised many fans when they announced that the much-loved Tell All Your Friends lineup was back together. Now the band is set to release their new self-titled album this June and have announced a U.K. tour that will take place next month. The group will also headline this year's Bamboozle Festival. Bassist Shaun Cooper talked about the recent show at Maxwells and their new album.
1) TBS recently performed at Maxwells. What was it like performing in a small club as opposed to a bigger venue?
It felt amazing. We love smaller clubs. A lot of intimacy is lost in big venues. I've always loved Maxwell's and hope we get to play there again in the future.
2) The band performed a new song called "Don't Lose Faith In Me". What's the meaning behind that song?
I don't really know... It may be self-explanatory.
3) You also shot the music video for "El Paso" at the show. When can fans expect the music video to be released?
It's just a performance based teaser that should look really cool. Our friend Steve Pedulla of Thursday fame shot it. Everyone should buy their awesome new record called No Devolución.
4) What was the recording process for the new album?
We started writing the record in El Paso TX, in March of 2010. We went back several times, then we flew up to Seattle with our producer Eric Valentine and wrote some more. We began recording with Eric out in LA in September. It was a really fun time, and Eric had amazing ideas.
5) What are some of your favorite songs on the album?
As cliche as it is, I really love all the songs.
6) What can TBS fans expect from the new release?
It's definitely different and way better than anything the five of us have done collectively or separately in the past. This is not Tell All Your Friends Part II. This is the sum of 5 people over 7 years growing up and becoming far better musicians and song writers than we ever dreamed of.
7) What are you most looking forward to about playing this year's Bamboozle Festival?
Seeing old friends and having a ton of fun on stage in front of a staggering amount of people. I may even drink a beer or two.
8) What are some memories from past Bamboozle performances?
Straylight played a couple times. We had fun.
Catch Taking Back Sunday at this year's Bamboozle Festival.